Total Pageviews

Friday, January 14, 2011

The moon is in the 7th, er, 8th house...

Life has not been kind to us within the realm of time lately. After my last series of posts chronicling the painful, partial replacement of my wife's right knee, time has been - to paraphrase composer Richard O'Brien - fleeting.


And now, the very fabric of time, well, at least the part astrologers calculate, may be stretching.

In his article on Fox News, Jeremy Kaplan reveals how the shifting positions of the moon and stars over the last few millennia have called into question the accuracy of our current Star Signs.

I'm traumatized by the fact that a mere 3,000 years ago, Libra, my star sign, didn't even exist. So if I had been born back then, what would I be - Ophuchicus the snake handler? Thank goodness not. That honor is reserved for those born between November 29th and December 17th.

In the new age of Astrology, I will revert to Virgo, whose traits are, according to Astrology online:
  • Modest and shy
  • Meticulous and reliable
  • Practical and diligent
  • Intelligent and analytical
And on what they refer to as The Dark Side:
  • Fussy and a worrier
  • Overcritical and harsh
  • Perfectionist and conservative
They're totally wrong - I mean who would believe such clap-trap anyway? Of course, I may have to consider the ramifications of the small chance there may be some truth to their pseudo-scientific ramblings. A study! Yes! I propose a study; of course we'll need to read the library and convene committees and such but only on odd Thursdays when the temperature is above seventy degrees Fahrenheit.

Bah!

I've lived my entire life as the diplomatic, peaceable, idealistic, easy going, sociable Libra. I suppose I'll have to change.

Not.

The major prophet Daniel warned against things like sorcery and astrology in his writings on the life and experiences of King Nebuchadnezzar. When asked to interpret the King's disturbing dreams in Daniel 2, "The Chaldeans answered before the king, and said, 'There is not a man upon the earth that can shew the king's matter: therefore there is no king, lord, nor ruler, that asked such things at any magician, or astrologer, or Chaldean.'"

Of course not. And Daniel wisely never took credit for his ability to correctly interpret  Nebuchadnezzar's dreams; he always gave God the credit - the One who is the only one able to see into our hearts and minds and know the truth of what we are about.

Astrology has always been akin to a game of Clue - only on a larger scale. People alone cannot predict the future nor can they determine the type of person you are or will be by the alignment of the planets, stars and Earth at the moment of your birth.
 So while this makes for an exciting story I think it's more along the lines of cocktail party chat fodder than anything requiring more than a curious comment.

What do you think?

X

1 comment:

  1. What do I think?

    I think that I'm still "within Libra" by one day's worth, so I've just be shrugging at all of the foolery.
    Of course, if I -had- actually changed signs, I would instead be shrugging at all the foolery.
    UtM
    S

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the Stream. What do you think?