Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Kindle; Amazon's technological cudgel or a nudge for the attention-challenged?

In an article published today, Helen A.S. Popkin asked an average American (not!) why she owns a Kindle.

Do Kindle owners hate books? - Technotica - MSNBC.com

I've heard of these electronic readers and I've even seen the adds for the 2-dot-oh on Amazon. I don't think I'm against them per se, as I own a PDA (Dell's Axim X30) and regularly use a sweet electronic bible suite.

What are the advantages for me? I can search any of seven translations quickly, compare results, view background material for each of the books in the Bible and follow a smorgasbord of devotionals and reading plans to help keep me In the Word. I can add an endless - limited only by the size of my SD card - amount of other Bible-related material: Maps, encyclopedia, etc.

So, as we go back to the original question, I am naturally on the side of the technoratti that Amazon is cultivating. The 2.0 lists for $359 (and even offers free Super Saver shipping). "Golly Beave, how do you think Dad's gonna pay for that?"

I know at least one person that has a Kindle and honestly, I can't recall if I've ever asked how they liked it. So all you Kindle owners out there - pipe up and let the world know what you think!

As for the article? If I had to guess, I'd say the subject, Sarah Lally Brown, and her husband, must not have children. Sarah talks about having three books going at one time and is into a variety of what I consider time-consuming activiities:
  • Vegetable gardening
  • Canning
  • Sewing
  • Sawing Logs
  • Tending chickens
The article makes a light-hearted pass at getting an objective opinion and Mrs. Brown comes off as very intelligent, capable and well-read. However, I'm not sure it succeeds. Please feel free to read it for yourself and let me know what you think!

Oh, one last thing, as an author, I find the picture of Mrs. Brown enchanting. Her face is tremendously interesting and I envision a character in one of my novels having one just like it.

X


Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Stream. What do you think?