Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Blogging tools; useful?

This is just a quick entry to check out the new ScribeFire blogging add-on that I installed to Firefox this morning. I've messed around with a couple of different Live Journal blogging tools but have never found much use for them. Hopefully, I can put ScribeFire through its paces and post a reasonable performance account/recommendation so that my fellow bloggers will get something useful out of this.

As this is my first entry, I'll lay out some environmental notes:

I'm typing this entry in the ScribeFire window that opens a variety of ways:

 - F8
 - Tools menu (select ScribeFire)
 - Small ScribeFire icon in the bottom right-hand corner of Firefox

The interface is a relatively clean WYSIWYG editor although I'm not seeing a spell checker right off the bat . Also, for bulleted-lists, there's not an icon on the formatting bar. This is a bummer because I like bulleted-lists.

I've also tried to put publishing links to both my Live Journal blog and my, er, Blogger blog in an effort to have ScribeFire publish entries to both blogs simultaneously. I'll let you know how that works out later.

The insert link function seems to work fairly seamlessly, defaulting to the active page in the browser, if you select the URL and then <ctrl-c>. There's also a neat little special character button that pops up another toolbar with a host of, you guessed it, special characters to click and insert. What? No Euro character/symbol? I guess I'll have to get on them about that - the Euro has been out for awhile now, hasn't it?

There's also a right-click function in the WYSIWYG window that's kind of nice. What ho! There's a spell-check thingy in the right-click menu; just right-click on the red-dotted, underlined word. The spell-checker offers some canned corrections or you can just add your word to the custom dictionary. Nice.

That's about all I have time for now; if you're reading this at Live Journal or Blogger, I guess it works!

X

Powered by ScribeFire.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting the Stream. What do you think?