Total Pageviews

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Somali Pirates are Wussies...

...compared to Japanese fisherman.

I don't spend a lot of cycles reading about whaling conservationists and the like. But I happened across a couple of videos and a report today of the Japanese whaling vessel Shonan Maru No.2 and the ultra-high tech Sea Shepperd vessel Ady Gil getting in a bit of a scuff up.

Pictures (in this case, videos) are worth a thousand words.




My initial reaction was, "Dang!"

In the first video, I'm guessing it was filmed by another Sea Shepherd vessel, MV Bob Barker, you can clearly sea the Shonan Maru No.2 veer toward the Ady Gil. But it's the second video, filmed from the deck of the Japanese vessel, that to me is the most dramatic. There are two sides to every story but I can't see how the Japanese sailors can justify ramming the million-dollar stealth boat (seen below in less dangerous days).



You can read more about the attack here.

More about the Sea Shepherd Conservation Agency here.

Comments?

X

2 comments:

  1. Hmm, I have mixed feelings here. Whereas I believe the right to swing my fist ends where the next man's nose begins, but the ol' "I'm not touching you, I'm not touching you" is pretty lame. I guess this sort of falls under "Luke Warm" (on the part of the Sea Shepard). I'd have more respect for eco-terrorists whom would outright suicide bomb the whalers then this....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments Noah - I was really taken aback by the outright purposefullness of the whaler vessel - there was no attempt to 'cover' their action or infer that it was a sad, tragic accident. Not to mention the fact that they continued to hose the crippled Ady Gil down even after shearing off the bow!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting the Stream. What do you think?